[wp-hackers] Change in plugin Options page handling

Owen Winkler ringmaster at midnightcircus.com
Tue Feb 22 21:36:02 GMT 2005

Matthew Mullenweg wrote:
> Owen Winkler wrote:
>
>> It doesn't seem possible at present to add both a top level menu page
>> and submenus.  In fact, it's kind of clunky to add a top-level menu at
>> all by itself, especially if you want a single-file plugin.
>

> We don't really want people adding top-level menus.

That makes it pretty difficult to include wider-scope features.  For
example, I have a top-level menu plugin for custom batabase
administration (like phpMyAdmin).  It has submenus for Tables and
Queries.  It seems impractical to put these menus under some other
top-level menu.

Likewise, for business users who want to consolidate features into
WordPress, using its authentication and admin access, it will be
similarly difficult.

Besides that, the function that does it is already there if you use more
than one file, it just doesn't support adding submenus very well.

I can see the point in not wanting every plugin to start adding itself
in at the top level, though.  What is the compromise?

Owen