[wp-hackers] Differentiating nightlies and betas

Ryan Boren ryan at boren.nu
Tue Feb 22 04:33:55 GMT 2005

On Mon, 2005-02-21 at 19:26 -0700, Chris Coggburn wrote:
>Robert Deaton wrote:
>
>>Maybe there should be a test before people can download nightlies. If
>>you can't code yourself out of a wet paper bag, then you shouldn't be
>>touching them. This way, we keep a lot of the people who would be
>>asking relentessly on the forums from having access to the new
>>releases.
>>
>>Of course, that'd probably not work too well.
>>

>I personally like the idea, but I doubt others will go for it. Plus
>there would be widespread cheating via stealing of teacher's notes,
>cellphones, and writing of code on shoes.

We should be lowering the bar for contribution, not raising it.

Those people relentlessly asking questions are actually providing a
service.  Repeatedly reported bugs offer an indication that something
may need to be re-thought and re-designed.  Designs were changed a
number of times in 1.5 in response to relentless questions from those
who couldn't code their way out of a wet paper bag.  They are our users,
and their input is valuable.

This entire thread is addressing symptoms, not causes.  Better release
engineering and shorter schedules will do more to remedy the problem
than will inconveniencing and patronizing those who are doing us the
favor of using the nightlies and providing feedback.  Let's talk about
scheduling and ways to release more often with less bugs.  Attempts to
discuss 1.5. maintenance have created no comments, whereas this thread
is still going strong.  Curious.

Ryan