[wp-hackers] Differentiating nightlies and betas

Owen Winkler ringmaster at midnightcircus.com
Mon Feb 21 15:27:16 GMT 2005

Chris Davis wrote:

>More on task, I would be fine with a weekly, or nightlies that are
>more buried than they are now.  I just think we should preserve the
>mechanism in some way, since it has been invaluable for the
>developement of features, and 3rd party stuff.
>
>MY meaning is that there were already a number of themes/plugins for
>1.5 when it hit because we all had access to it while in
>alpha/beta/gamma.

Ah... But I should point out that theme designers didn't need the
changes in every nightly to build new themes, just the few updates that
included changes to the theme system.  Presumably, WordPress will have
very few changes in this sytem not that it is implemented.

Perhaps WordPress should release infrequent "nightly" builds when theme
or layout changes are implemented, and let hackers/developers figure out
SVN if they're going to be hacking on the bleeding edge.  This at least
creates a barrier to entry - you kind of have to know what you're
getting into just to get into it, whereas downloading (a nightly) is a
common web task.

Owen