[wp-hackers] WP Client/Admin code separation

Ryan Boren ryan at boren.nu
Sun Feb 20 22:46:21 GMT 2005

On Sun, 2005-02-20 at 22:35 +0000, Mike Little wrote:
>On Sun, 20 Feb 2005 23:19:33 +0100, Michel Valdrighi <michelv at gmail.com> wrote:
>> So, I propose that for the next big release we try to avoid loading
>> those functions at page views, that we try to load only the functions
>> that will reasonnably be used in this context. It's mostly a matter of
>> identifying functions only used in the admin area and move them to other
>> files. Then if plugins absolutely need those, they can still
>> require_once() them.
>> It would most likely save parsing time and memory usage...
>>

>Michel,
>This is a great idea. If you raise a Mantis issue for it, then it can
>be tracked and people can add functions to the list as they find them.

Definitely.  We include functions-post.php in wp-settings.  Most of that
stuff is only needed by xmlrpc.php and wp-admin/.  So, we should load it
only from wp-admin/admin.php and xmlrpc.php.  Maybe we should have a
wp-includes/admin.php that xmlrpc.php, wp-comments-post.php, and plugins
could include to pull in admin functions.

Ryan