[wp-hackers] Improving Pingback Excerpts

Michel Valdrighi michelv at gmail.com
Wed Feb 16 16:36:33 GMT 2005

On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 22:14:22 +0900, Jamie Talbot
<wphackers at jamietalbot.com> wrote:
> Had to write a parser for my XHTML validifier plugin, so may be able to
> help.  Don't know much about Pingbacks personally, but if you can point
> me in the right direction for getting the block of text/file, I might be
> able to put something together...

Here is another approach, taken by Sam Ruby:
http://www.intertwingly.net/code/mombo/extractor.py
http://www.intertwingly.net/code/mombo/pingback.py

Extractor defines an html class that does feed autodiscovery. The
Pingback server then uses this class on the source URI to find the
feed's URI, and does a getElementsByTags('entry') in order to find the
entry that does link to the target URI.
It's a little awkward and may not work for all situations though,
especially one when a source document doesn't specify/have a feed.

--
Michel Valdrighi
Devéloppeur Web Intraordinaire