[wp-hackers] [WP1.5 Idea] Admin Setting for Alternate Path to Themes

Doug Daulton ddaulton at ursastudios.com
Sat Feb 12 18:14:03 GMT 2005

I know it may be a little late in the game for a 1.5 feature request,
but I think this one could be really simple.

I love the fact that I can install WP code in another directory and call
it from webroot/index.php as described in reference URL #1.  This goes a
long way to integrating WP into a larger site sitdesign with other OS
apps.  My only quibble is that i should be able to set a base path for
themes as well.  When incorporating WP into larger site, often the CSS
and immage assets are held in another folder.  I'd like to be able just
set a path thes assets and go.  Then, my dir structure could look like this.

/webroot
    index,php (calls wp.header)
    /code
          /wordpress
             wp-header.php
             (and the rest of wp-* files and dirs)
          /gallery (other OSS app)
          /projectx
          /projecty
          /project z
    /themes
       /default
            /images
                 header.jpg
            /css
                wordpress.css
            /layout
               php page element files  for WP and other OSS apps
       /kubrick
          repeat dir structure above

The reason I think this is a simple fix is two fold. First, it is a
simple matter of organizing a theme folder into a couple of simple,
discreet subdirs.  Second,  it should only require one additional
setting in the Admin UI and a few minor changes in the CSS and layout
PHP files to swap in the theme path vars.  The default would look in the
wordpress path as it does to day, but it would make like much simpler
for folks embedding WP elsewhere.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Doug