[wp-hackers] Themes: Moving from 1.2.x to 1.5

Leeman Strout l.strout at agilixcorp.com
Fri Feb 11 15:52:00 GMT 2005

Sebastian Herp wrote:
> Ryan Boren wrote:
>
> Yesterday I tried to update the wordpress blog of a friend of mine. It
> didn't went as smoothly as it could have ...
>
> 1. Wordpress 1.5 comes with an index.php which overwrites the original
> index.php of wordpress 1.2. So there should be a big big warning that
> upgraders should not overwrite their index.php if they want to keep
> their old design.
>
> 2. Running php as a module seems to kill it, too. I manually created the
> wp-content/themes directory and made it world-writable. Wordpress then
> created a directory named after the blog, but didn't copy anything into
> it. The folder was owned by the apache-user and the ftp-user had no
> permissions to alter it in any way :-( Even worse ... empty directories
> in wp-content/themes seem to kill the presentation-category in the admin
> interface

I just did this a few days ago.  There's a readme in the package that
tells you everything you need to know about it overwriting index.php,
and points to a how-to on upgrading.  The how-to tells you how to
migrate your own theme over to 1.5.

For me it went flawlessly.  Also, I'm running PHP5 as a module on Apache
2, and it's working fine as well.

Leeman