[wp-hackers] Default User Setup

Kimmo Suominen kim at tac.nyc.ny.us
Sun Feb 6 04:08:35 GMT 2005

On Sat, Feb 05, 2005 at 08:00:13PM -0700, Kitty wrote:
> On Sat, 2005-02-05 at 18:51, Sebastian Herp wrote:
> > Yes it is. The first account would be the admin account, but should it
> > really be named "admin"? I mean it does make brute force attacks a lot
> > easier if you only have to guess the password ...
>
> Doesn't seem to be a problem with "root" on unix systems.

Modern UNIX systems disallow remote logins with "root".  You'll need to
be on a "secure" terminal, and generally that means the console.  See
the ttys(5) manual page on any BSD system.

WordPress has no limiting on where "admin" can login.  It would be better
(safer) if there was no well-known login name created.

Regards,
+ Kim
--
<A HREF="http://kimmo.suominen.com/">Kimmo Suominen</A>