[wp-hackers] Dashboard Clutter

Morgan Doocy morgan at doocy.net
Sun Feb 6 03:38:00 GMT 2005

If I understand correctly, these "important announcements" would be
limited to important bug fixes, security-related announcements, and
other low-frequency but high-importance information.

I'd like to see the UI for this follow the example of update
notification in other products (e.g. Windows Update, Software Update,
Firefox), wherein nothing is displayed unless new updates are
available.

I picture important messages taking a form similar to, but very
distinguishable from, the "?updated=true" messages that are frequent
throughout WordPress, only showing up if there's something important to
say. The message should be displayed until the user has either
"dismissed" the notice, or has fulfilled requirements for its automatic
removal, e.g. installed a bug fix.

Of course, RSS would be extremely inefficient for this, so a more
customized means of notification would probably be in order. For
example, a simple GET request to an update server, with the revision
number in the query string. The server would reply with one or more
xml-formatted update notifications if there are any for that revision;
if not, a simple "OK" would do. Combine that with a pseudo-cron to
perform the check periodically and you'd have a robust, extremely lean
update notification system.

Morgan