[wp-hackers] Dashboard Clutter

Mark Jaquith mark.wordpress at txfx.net
Fri Feb 4 22:41:56 GMT 2005

Scott Merrill wrote:

> Owen Winkler wrote:
>
>> It's also a good point that loading it up with feeds or features can
>> cause the Dashboard to load slowly.
>

> The dashboard ought not pull feeds on every hit (and maybe it doesn't;
> I haven't looked at the code).
>
> It might be nice(r) to have regular user visits activate the feed
> query process.  So every time a visitor hits my page (or my feed(s)),
> WordPress checks:
> * when was the last time it queried for dev news?
> * is it currently pulling a feed?
> If false for both, set a lock and then pull the feed.  When done,
> update the last-pulled variable and release the lock.
>
> This way feeds won't get unduly pounded from any single location (at
> least not as a result of WP!), and admins always get new-ish news
> without waiting for their admin panels to load.

Is there any way to do this without slowing down page loads for
visitors?  I think not.  I ran into that problem, as I am using
MagpieRSS to load a title/link of the latest entry of everyone on my
blogroll.  It's about 23 sites, so 23 feeds need to be loaded and
parsed.  The unlucky bastard who triggers a refresh gets treated to a
20-30 second page load.  Eventually, I just wrote a PHP script to force
a refresh of the cache, and had cron run it every 15 minutes (also,
wrote the output to a static file, and included that, instead of having
Magpie RSS reprocess the contents with each page load).