[wp-hackers] Trackback Spam

Scott Merrill skippy at skippy.net
Wed Feb 2 12:27:30 GMT 2005

Michel Valdrighi wrote:
> On Tue, 1 Feb 2005 08:46:32 -0500 (EST), Scott Merrill
> <skippy at skippy.net> wrote:
>
>> A pingback recipient initiates a new request to the source of the
>>pingback transmission to confirm that that pingback source is
>>legitimate.
>>
>>A long time ago, I added this verification process to the WordPress
>>trackback mechanism for a project on which I was working, so that
>>trackbacks would be verified.  Maybe WordPress can "embrace and
>>extend" the trackback spec to plug this hole?
>

> That would not extend the TrackBack spec, that would just embrace and
> suffocate it.
> Let's not do what Anil Dash does: TrackBacks don't necessarily come with a link.

The reference is lost on me.  In what ways has Anil Dash suffocated the
trackback spec?

And according to the official SixApart trackback specification, a link
is the _only_ think specifically required:
    http://www.movabletype.org/docs/mttrackback.html
"In the Movable Type implementation, of the above parameters only url is
required. If title is not provided, the value for url will be set as the
title."

--
skippy at skippy.net | http://skippy.net/

gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys 9CFA4B35
506C F8BB 17AE 8A05 0B49  3544 476A 7DEC 9CFA 4B35