[wp-hackers] Trackback Spam

Mark Jaquith mark.wordpress at txfx.net
Tue Feb 1 19:40:55 GMT 2005

Mark Wubben wrote:

>Isn't trackback spam fire and forget? If so... those fancy redirects
>won't help :)

Spam Karma has blocked all of them for me.  But I got tired of the
notifications, so I put this in .htaccess

It blocks the spammer's User Agent from posting (the first User Agent is
that spammer that struck last month, before Spam Karma was updated to
filter Trackbacks.)

> # TB Spammer Blocks
> SetEnvIfNoCase User-Agent "Mozilla/4\.0 \(compatible; MSIE 5\.5;
> Windows 98; Win 9x 4\.90\)" bad_bot
> SetEnvIfNoCase User-Agent "Mozilla/4\.0 \(compatible; MSIE 6\.0;
> Windows NT 5\.2; \.NET CLR 1\.1\.4322\)" bad_bot
>
> <Limit POST>
> Order Allow,Deny
> Allow from all
> Deny from env=bad_bot
> </Limit>

Note that if any legitimate users have this User Agent, they won't be
able to post comments.  I'm not too worried about the MSIE 5.5 Windows
98 one, but the MSIE 6.0 one could block some legit users.  My IE User
Agent is: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; SV1; .NET
CLR 1.1.4322) which only varies in the Windows version and "SV1."  So be
warned.

Personally, I don't care... I already put up a pretty big "USE ANOTHER
BROWSER" warning to them anyway.