[wp-hackers] 8bit ASCII characters in mail-headers

drDave drdave at unknowngenius.com
Wed Sep 8 12:47:09 UTC 2004

On Sep 8, 2004, at 9:25 PM, Sebastian Herp wrote:

> Hello again,
>
> i played around with the comment notification function and as drDave
> suspected, wordpress doesn't respect RFCs :-)

damn. I didn't do anything... not me sir...

> So I wrote a little function that converts Subject and From headers
> correctly into the "Q" encoding described in RFC1522
> (http://rfc.net/rfc1522.html). I have tested it with Wordpress 1.2 and
> it works perfectly :-) Every ÖÄÜß is encoded ... hurray!!!! Is there a
> large enough interest from the developer-side to implement this in
> wordpress

I say there definitely should be one...
however, one important question: you are encoding these headers using
UTF-8, right?
If we want WP to be truly usable by non-English speaker, supporting non
ASCII titles is vital, even more so for non Latin character sets
(kanji, arab, hebrew etc) where the whole sequence would be absolutely
unreadable. So such a function must make sure it supports all the
encoding it could get fed, convert to UTF-8 (if mb_string is available)
and then encode according to RFC1522.

> (had a bad expierience with the wp-calendar which _still_ does not
> know that there are nations not using sunday as the first day of the
> week)? If yes, i'll get it to work with the CVS version and post the
> diffs ...

that sounds to me like something which should be implemented. there are
definitely a lot of countries (actually, pretty much anywhere else
beside the US) that start the week on Monday and I can imagine the
US-style of wp-calendar makes it mostly useless for them.

Hope this gets implemented in the core one way or another (support for
UTF-8 needs to be more consistent, imho)...
--
Dave / デイヴ
drdave at unknowngenius.com