[wp-hackers] 1.3a2 CVS

Kitty kitty at mookitty.co.uk
Mon Sep 6 00:12:13 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-09-05 at 16:31, Sebastian Herp wrote:
> That is the ONE thing i hated about BLOG:CMS. Zillion places to modify
> the page layout, etc :-(
>
> I understand that it might be easier for some people when they only have
> to edit a menu/sidebar/footer.php if they want to change something in
> the menu/sidebar/footer, but I want to have one single file containing
> everything. Please, don't make the mistake of splitting everything up
> ... please ... *blinks with his eyelids*

Well I am proposing a minor change to a change that's already been made.
wp-footer.php is here to stay. I think adding wp-sidebar is a logical
extension because of this code:

<?php
// If a footer.php file exists in the WP root directory we
// use that, otherwise use this default wp-footer.php file.
if ( file_exists(ABSPATH . '/footer.php') ) :
        include_once(ABSPATH . '/footer.php');
else :
?>
(the same thing exists in the wp-sidebar.php code that I proposed.)

Now, all you have to do is drop in 'footer.php' (notice there's no 'wp-'
prefix) and it's used instead of the default. Instantly skinable,
extending this to the sidebar would allow 'sidebar.php' to be dropped in
for the same effect.

Basically, *everyone* messes with their sidebar, now they would have (if
this is committed) a bork proof way of playing with things by using the
'sidebar.php' file, and never having to hack the core file.
--
Cheers!
Kitty