[wp-hackers] Threaded Comments

Stephen Sadowski stephen.sadowski at gmail.com
Fri Oct 29 15:09:36 UTC 2004

On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 10:53:54 -0400, Carthik Sharma <carthik at gmail.com> wrote:
> The problems with respect to making it a single-click-install plugin are:
> 1) It uses a whole new wp-comments* set of files (which might be
> unavoidable anyways)
> 2) It uses javascript DOM (which makes it not-so-universally-useful)
> 3) It adds a column to a table, which might be unavoidable as well...

2) Javascript DOM has been well supported since IE 5.5 and NS6, I
don't see that as a barrier.

3) There's no reason it has to add a column to a table especially
referring back to your point #1 - if wp-comments* are being replaced,
the queries selecting the comments can be updated as well. A little
slower, given that a join would be necessary, but that way the plugin
is not affecting the core of WP, at least database-wise. IMHO, as
well, if there were a hook added in the right place, perhaps touching
wp-comments* would be avoidable as well, which would be my preference.
That way theme authors and hackers alike could mix and match threaded
and non-threaded comments to their hearts' delight.

Anyway. My two cents. Worth what you paid for it :)