[wp-hackers] Need help upgrading CG-Related plugin to 1.3...

Robert Deaton false.hopes at gmail.com
Tue Oct 26 03:49:20 UTC 2004

No, two question marks in a URI is not legal, it should be a & for the
second value, but it is also illegal to declare the same value twice.
This might be something to submit to mosquito if it imposes a serious
problem. I'm sure the devs won't mind taking a look at it if it is
that bad of a problem and has potential for future problems piling up
on top of it.

On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 23:26:15 -0400, David Chait <davebytes at comcast.net> wrote:
> Okay, so I just found the following code at the top of wp-settings.php:
>
> // Append the query string if it exists and isn't null
> if (isset($_SERVER['QUERY_STRING']) && !empty($_SERVER['QUERY_STRING'])) {
>  $_SERVER['REQUEST_URI'] .= '?' . $_SERVER['QUERY_STRING'];
> }
>
> Now, the problem is that F***S UP the $_SERVER['REQUEST_URI'] completely for
> something like:
>  http:...mysite?p=1
> which after the above code becomes
>  http:...mysite?p=1?p=1
>
> FIRST, seems overly nasty to be rewriting PHP globals behind the back of
> other code, no?
> SECOND, that certainly looks like a 'bug' to me -- two ?'s aren't 'legal'
> URI syntax, are they?  And I can't imagine this being an 'intended result',
> unless there's something really tricky being done.
> And, of course, third, it just plain breaks my code!  I can't redirect
> properly to the current page  What is this to enable, that didn't work in
> 1.0?  Was the 1.2 code erroneous in that it didn't apply the query string if
> the URI was already set properly by the server/php?  (Since my code seemed
> to be working just fine under 1.2...)
>
> I can think of hacks around this, but I shouldn't be hacking things.  I'm
> also guessing there's a lot more people using nice URIs these days (which
> I'll eventually switch over to!), and thus nasty query string issues like
> this might be missed or something?
>
> Trying to lock-down last test release before gold on the PowerPack, and this
> is hampering things...  Thanks all!
>
> -d

--Robert Deaton
http://false-hopes.com/

Linux is not an operating system, its a way of life.