[wp-hackers] Oh No!!!

Stephen Cropp steve at de-generationx.net
Sat Oct 2 12:11:04 UTC 2004

Mwahahaha!!!! I'm back!!!!

Not that most people noticed or had any clue, but I kinda took the past
few weeks (okay, nearly a couple of months) off from pretty much
everything online (well, except for my blog... too much of an addiction
there) and haven't really been able to code or contribute anything at
all. Unfortunately I had to admit defeat and withdraw from trying to
help with the multiblog coding effort, but life kind of has this really
nasty habit of getting in the way at times.

Anyway, things are almost finally settled on this side of the globe for
me so I have got a chance to start sitting down and working things out.
Of course, the final straw for me was not going near the computer for 24
hours or so and getting absolutely hammered with comment spam on
Friday/Saturday NZ time. This had two effects for me.

1) Really really really pissed me off.
2) Forced me to sit down and decide how I'm going to deal with the
comment spam.

Now, I'm fully aware that everyone here in this list is currently
suffering the same fate as me. In fact, it seems everyone I know is,
regardless of what platform they're using at the moment. A lot of people
I setup blogs for forced me ;) to setup their blogs so that only
registered or whitelisted users could comment. But I have found that is
far far too much of a kludge to be suitable for me. My current anti-spam
works, its just that moderating the huge influx of spam in the past
little while has become really more tedious than I was willing to accept.

Then when Friday hit me, I had to sit down and deal with it, as I'm sure
most of you are doing lately as well.

In the interim I am intending to take a rather drastic temporary measure
to deal with it on my own blog
(http://www.de-generationx.net/blog/archives/2004/10/02/645/) but I am
also intending on working on a few new plugins that will compliment not
only Kitten's work, but also many of the other things already out there.

Before I start going in to it here (or anywhere else) in too much
detail, I'm actually going to take the time to go back over everything
you have all posted on this matter since I suspended my subscription to
the list in August so that I'm not just rehashing all your ideas.

However, thats really totally and completely beside the point ;-)

All I really wanted to say was "Hi" and "I'm back" and let y'all know
that some guy that hangs around on the edges will be making an effort
again come Monday. :-)

Hi, I'm back :-)

Steve
(aka Korgan)