[wp-hackers] Anti spam idea

Mark Jaquith mark.wordpress at txfx.net
Tue Nov 16 00:09:36 UTC 2004

I wrote some WP code that does this... but only if a comment has been
moderated.  Thus, if a user accidentally trips into moderation, he will
have a chance to moderate his own comment by completing the CAPTCHA.
This way, handicapped users aren't penalized (can still approve the
comment manually), and legitamate users (including the handicapped) are
only burdened with a CAPTCHA if they get sent to moderation.  I used the
PHP class HN_CAPTCHA for the CAPTCHA part.

Go here to try it out (submit a comment with "texas-holdem" in the
body): http://txfx.net/wp-cvs/2004/11/10/test/

This code was integrated by Dr Dave into his upcoming Spam Karma plugin,
which is going to be a comprehensive rolling together of more than a
dozen methods of stopping spam (including another method I came up with
for recognizing a sudden barrage of comments from the same IP, or with
the same URI or e-mail address that weighs this barrage against comments
submitted more than 24 hours ago, so legitimate commenters aren't
penalized.)  Think of it as the Three Strikes or Spaminator plugin, but
with many more checks.

Stay tuned... it's still buggy (as of last night, when I tried it), but
it's going to be massively effective when it is released.