[wp-hackers] Returning instead of echoing

Brian Meidell brian at mindflow.dk
Tue Nov 9 17:45:31 UTC 2004

I was just about to bring it up.

I am so glad this discussion is reopened.
I still stand by the get_* non-get variant, as it's the most easily maintainable and usable way to do it. It has no impact on existing functions (if we can find a naming convention that doesn't clash with existing functions), and it has no performance hit.

As for newbies being confused by echo, either we could use print (which is a bit more intuitive) or we could include the easytags plugin idea directly in the basic install, thus allowing newbies to be free of PHP code.

The easytags idea was here:
http://meidell.dk/archives/category/wordpress/easytags-plugin/
Take a look at the code - it's extremely simple, and I have a lot of ideas to extend it. But it completely relies on returning functions, which is why I dropped development on it. At least until returning functions was the norm in wp.

/Brian