[wp-hackers] Static content plugin

Ryan Boren ryan at boren.nu
Sat Jun 19 01:14:25 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-06-18 at 18:48, Jason wrote:
> There's all this talk about plugins for static content, but wouldn't it
> make more sense to contribute to the conversation about how the new
> static post_status should be used as opposed to reinventing the wheel? I
> like the idea of making it available on the Advanced Editing screen. I
> also think they should be excluded from all normal post queries unless
> explicity included, so they would (normally) only be accessible via
> their IDs or a (special) mod_rewrite rule. Something like that would not
> take too much work at all and could easily be made available in the next
> version of WP, if not in the CVS sometime in the near future. It seems
> like such a frequent request that it should be built in, not a plugin.
>
> Anyway, just my two cents...

I agree, although I'd like to work out some nomenclature.  We have
"static" posts and "hidden" categories going around.  I think these all
boil down to being "standalone".  That is, exclude me from the regular
lists, I'll do my own thing.  This is simply an "exclude me" flag.  If
we integrate this, I'd like to look at the big picture of what people
are doing with static and hidden and see where the common ground and
terminology lies.  I think most of these boil down to "standalone", but
I have looked all of the related plugins and hacks yet.

Ryan