[wp-hackers] Wordpress User Authentication

Alex nessence at gmail.com
Fri Jun 18 19:16:23 UTC 2004

I'd be curious if there was an API hook for this (I don't see one).

It'd be nice to be able to include one PHP file from WP that had API
access. So, you could run a function like
check_user_auth($user, $pass);

within a seperate non-WP script. This increases exposure of the
scripts to exploit, so might be done carefully. (Mainly for shared
hosting...if the script was able to be read/executed by another user -
eg, a shard apache1.3 hosting environment, then it could be brute
forced).

Such a feature would be best disabled by default. Or, have some type
of key issuance for remote scripts. Similar to amazon or google's
APIs. You are given a randomly generated key, and you put that in your
scripts. Otherwise, your [external] scripts can't utilize the API.

Just a few ideas there.

Alex