[wp-hackers] Intervening in $posts and hidden categories

Markku Seguerra markku at rebelpixel.com
Thu Jun 17 13:47:44 UTC 2004

Matt Mullenweg wrote:

> This brings us to something that has been discussed before, hidden
> categories. Someone had suggested that categories that begin with a
> period, like .sticky, should be suppressed from view in the category
> listing, like "hidden" dot files in linux. This seems like an excellent
> idea to me. Any comments?

I first saw the method of using categories for specialized
functions in Pivot, another GPL-ed weblogging tool. Allowing
the "hidden" categories would be a godsend, and would be a
great way to hack more functionality into the database
without creating extra tables.

A suggestion, if this is implemented, these hidden categories
should not at all be shown in the admin interface, but through
another special interface. This avoids common users from
tinkering with things they shouldn't be touching at all.

--
markku
rebelpixel.com