[wp-hackers] function_exists - user woes

Matt Mullenweg m at mullenweg.com
Fri Jul 30 05:55:51 UTC 2004

Carthik Sharma wrote:

> Important points :
> "if you have to hack things in order to make the plugin work (which it
> seems like almost every plugin I've tried requires), then it ain't a
> plugin, it's a hack."
> "function_exists"

That's like saying "I bought these wireless speakers and put them in my
room but then I threw away the transmitter and now the speakers don't
work!" Function_exists() is not a valid solution to this problem for
tag-based plugins because, as Alex demonstrated, it would put the ooo in
oooogly. If anything what we can take from this is perhaps there should be
a note on the plugins page about this.

--
Matt Mullenweg
http://pingomatic.com | more soon...