[wp-hackers] Function Parameters

Randy Peterman randy at randypeterman.com
Mon Jul 26 20:31:43 UTC 2004

Matt Mullenweg wrote:

> Randy Peterman wrote:
>
>> For brevity passing name=value parameters is nice if you've written
>> such a large function, but at what point have you created a monster
>> rather than a function?
>

> When the townspeople come at it with torches and pitchforks. :)

Ha ha!

And not in a spirit of debate or argument for whichever method is better
but sincere curiosity:
Which method has better performance results?  If I had a WordPress page
returning the default index.php file with 4 plugins parsing and
formatting text and the plugins are using the name=value parameters,
what is the performance improvement or decrease?  End users care about
functionality and performance and if the output for a 20 post index page
is too bad then I vote that folks use the faster of the two.  My
StatTraq plugin will be more optimized in its next beta to use the
fastest code I could produce, and if anyone on this list has suggestions
for improving any common PHP patterns please do post them as we could
all probably learn something useful.

Regards,

Randy Peterman