[wp-hackers] WP Plugin site.

Craig Hartel milquetoast at telus.net
Sun Jul 25 19:38:17 UTC 2004

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. Keep the ideas coming. As a user, and not a
hacker, I'd just like to make a couple of comments for the benefit of those who
only recently came on the list and may not have had the time to read through all
of the archives as yet.

While the plugin site is intended to be a resource site, its focus will be on
the users, who, as we all know, range from squeaky-clean newbies to the Mountain
Dew-addicted hard-core programmers. My intention is to try and balance the
scale, which will be a challenge.

No files will be mirrored (if indeed mirroring does occur) without the express
consent of the authors. I'd prefer a GPG-signed email, for example, with this
indicated for the sake of documentation.

I know diddly about GPL, but because WP would never integrate into its core a
non-GPL batch of code, I'd prefer that all the plugins be released under GPL
too, but this is not a show stopper. I'll worry more about that in a while.

Simple is good. Lots of good information is essential to help users make a
decision about which flavour of plugin to use for a particular purpose. The onus
for this will be on the dogged-determination of the site admin to hassle the
crap out of the author for this until this is satisfied. :)

I don't wish any site visitor to be overwhelmed when they visit the site. I
would rather start simply, and then get feedback from the visitors about what
they want as well.

Authors will always be credited. That being said, I hope that they will in turn
credit those that helped them or credit any code which they are using from other
sources. Links will be to the page of choice of the author, which I assume will
be their home page. I think that this is important to allow users the
opportunity to use PayPal or other methods to donate to the author.

For those who don't know me, I'm a USER! I'm not a hacker, so I will rely on you
folks for technical help, but I will also butt heads with you as well. :)

Keep the ideas coming, as they are all appreciated.

Craig.