[wp-hackers] Unapproved, yet not waiting for moderation

Eric A. Meyer eric at meyerweb.com
Sat Jul 24 17:08:56 UTC 2004

    I've come up with a feature desire that might seem a little odd,
but there are good reasons to do it.  What I want is the ability to
unapprove a comment without having it go back into the moderation
queue.  For that matter, it would be nice to have the ability to
shunt a message from the moderation queue to the "unapproved"
category, so it is neither posted nor left in the queue.
    The general idea here is to keep copies of comment spam that you
get for later analysis.  For large community blogs, this feature
could also be useful for tracking abusive posters over time in hopes
of figuring out a good way to deal with them.
    Unfortunately, it doesn't look like the default WP database is set
up for this, unless the 'approve' field can be easily given extra
values beyond 0 and 1.  Any ideas regarding the best way to
accomplish what I'm trying to do that involves the least amount of
code changes?

--
Eric A. Meyer  (eric at meyerweb.com)    http://www.meyerweb.com/eric/
Principal, Complex Spiral Consulting  http://www.complexspiral.com/