[wp-hackers] possible permanent post and edit page modifications

Shelley Powers shelleyp at burningbird.net
Fri Jul 23 16:57:58 UTC 2004

>The difference in type of change between the ping feature you mentioned
>and the comment moderation is subtle but significant:
>
>There is no other way to do the ping.  I don't mean functionally, I mean
>the end result.  If I wrote a plugin to do the pinging on categories, it
>would have the exact same effect (ping based on category) as the change
>that was recently posted to the source.
>
>On the other hand, I've already suggested a couple of things that I
>would want the comment moderation to do; things that you were reluctant
>(with reasonable misgivings) to add to the functionality.  Because there
>would be different ways to go about handling per-post moderation, I
>think that this is a feature best left to a plugin, even if the feature
>is in high-demand.
>
>Assuming that your changes were incorporated, would I be able to write a
>plugin that allows the behavior that I described in earlier posts?  I
>could write a plugin now that incorporates those features and the
>per-post comment moderation, and wouldn't want to be required to hack
>core code if your changes are incorporated but didn't allow for my
>needs.

You could write a plugin that does some of this, but not all. But this
does bring up an interesting topic -- what drives incorporation of new
functionality into an existing WP release?

However, you've brought up enough points that I don't think I will
pursue sending in any of these mods.

>All of this is said without seeing any of the specifically proposed
>changes, and is basically a comment on the criteria required for
>incorporation of a feature into the core code.

I use PHP documentor to document my changes and post online, updating
when I have enough new changes. It's online.

>>Now, if your update to change an 'e' to a picture of a donkey
>>also has
>>fairly widespread approval, then I would think that the WP
>>folks would
>>want to look at adding this in, too.
>>

>Now, come on, you know you want it.  :)

Only if it were donkeys.

Thanks for the feedback. On to other things.

Shelley