[wp-hackers] possible permanent post and edit page modifications

Shelley Powers shelleyp at burningbird.net
Fri Jul 23 14:03:54 UTC 2004

>>The first is by-post moderation. This allows users to turn
>>moderation on
>>per post rather than for the whole site.
>>

>This is interesting to me, however, I have certain posts that are older
>than 20 days that I would like to leave unmoderated.  Any chance?

I probably wouldn't add this change. This was more demonstration on what
you can do with that new moderated enumeration. And if it was added, it
would probably have a option to set the number of days. But if it was in
and set, then no it wouldn't work for your instance. You would be better
to manually set the comment status using sql in the database, and then
unmoderate those specific posts.

>Also, isn't there a plugin hook for comment posting that could prevent a
>person from having to edit the comment pages?

Well, when I made the change was pre-plugin. Could this be done with a
plug-in? Not really, at least, not for setting the moderated status. And
I also provide a display when a specific post is moderated, and that
woudln't work with a plug-in.

The thing is that the code to update the database is embedded directly
in the wp-post-comment.php page. I don't see how a plugin could work
around this. I don't see where a plugin is accessed before this update
is made. I haven't looked as closely in the 1.3 code. Perhaps this is
now more doable.

>All of the interface changes you suggest for the comment plugin can be
>done with javascript - without modifying the edit page.  Check out my
>Adhesive plugin for an example of how to insert a "sticky" checkbox into
>the edit interface from a plugin with javascript.  It should be just as
>easy to remove the current comment interface elements and replace them
>with whatever you want.

Are you talking about using DOM to modify the page? That's an option I
didn't think of, so thanks.

Hopefully, though, with these as changes, they wouldn't require a plugin
or edits to the pages. If there isn't interest in adding these to the
1.3 source, I'm going to look at using your approach, Owen, to make it
easier for the non-coders. Thanks!

Shelley