[wp-hackers] Plugin Site

Ryan Boren ryan at boren.nu
Sat Jul 17 06:23:04 UTC 2004

> Just some thoughts. All are open for discussion and debate. I'd rather do this
> right from the start than make a mess of it and have users and authors not
> bother with the site at all.

I don't think you should bend over for authors who are trying to impose
what is essentially an advertising clause on top of the GPL.  We could
be nice by taking down plugins at the author's request.  However, if
someone else picks up the plugin and sponsors it on the plugin site,
then that is open source at work.  Attempts to prevent distribution and
code adoption by others violates the GPL in both letter and spirit.
With open source, you have to set the code free.  If people want to
tightly control distribution of their code, they shouldn't be working on
an open source project.  You get it for free with no advertising
requirements, and you are expected to give your contributions back in
the same spirit.

Ryan