[wp-hackers] Plugin Site

Danny Dawson quasistoic at gmail.com
Fri Jul 16 23:06:26 UTC 2004

Please keep in mind while reading my comments below that I am merely
making suggestions.  I am not at all affiliated with the development
of wp-plugins.org.

On Fri, 16 Jul 2004 15:42:25 -0700, Jason goldsmith <unteins at gmail.com> wrote:
> Ok, several thoughts on this.
>
> 1) I do NOT want support forums on any more sites. If wp-plugins.org
> is going to have support forums then the plugin support forums at
> wordpress.org need to be shut down. It is hard enough for me to
> support my plugins via my own site and via the wordpress.org Site. I
> definitely do not want to have even more places to deal with.

I can see your reasoning here.  I would expect the wp-plugins.org
website to be more of a community support effort intended to take the
load off of the developer.  If the end user wants support from the
developer him/herself, that user can attempt to seek it out by
following the "Homepage" link to the developer's website.  If the
developer chooses not to offer support for his/her own plugin, that's
up to them.

I see no reason why a developer can't or shouldn't create a plugin and
then not support it.  It's always nice if they do, of course, and they
earn much respect for doing so, but I think the development of the
plugin itself is commendable work.  A support community is often
sufficient for such small amounts of code as plugins usually are.

> 2) As a developer who does NOT want my plugin being directly linked
> to, I think Deirdre's idea is the closest to acceptable to me. I
> wouldn't mind if my plugin were listed on the directory and if someone
> wants to put a copy of the plugin archive on the server as a backup,
> that's fine too, as long as the backup copy is only available should
> my registered site for the plugin disaapear for a period of time (at
> least a week, I have had server outages that lasted that long). As
> soon as my site comes back I want the direct download disabled.

Sorry if I was unclear:  I was suggesting that the "prominent link to
the plugin's homepage"  was not a direct download link, but an actual
link to the developer's webpage.  I think a direct download link to
the file on the developer's server is unfair.

> 3) I don't want to have to maintain a record on the site, if someone
> else is going to do it, cool. Otherwise, I don't have the time for it,
> heck my Wiki record needs to be updated I think.

I don't think the developer should be expected to maintain the entry
on wp-plugins.org.  If he or she would like to, that's just fine and
dandy.  If not, leave it to either the wp-plugins.org moderators, or
the users who, like myself, always check the developer's website for
updates anyway.

> There's my 85 cents on it.

Danny Dawson
http://quasistoic.org/ts/