[wp-hackers] beating a dead horse

Scott Merrill skippy at skippy.net
Wed Jul 14 14:31:30 UTC 2004

Carthik Sharma said:
> Mike did say that wordpress should add the headers to all the files,
> and perhaps "wordpress" should be the copyright owner, but the changes
> have not been made, nor has a decision on whether to make the changes
> or not, which is why I aassumed that the matter was not a closed
> chapter. As you the tool grows in popularity, it is bound to come
> under the microscope, and this is one thing that could look bad,
> potentially, which is why I brought it up.
>
> My apologies if I shouldn't have :)

Don't apologize -- you've raised an important point.  It's one that often
gets overlooked in the Free Software community: as people get focused on
producing cool new products they often lose sight of the (boring) legal
details.

I think that WordPress's strong support of web standards compliance should
be extended to include strong support for GPL compliance.  I hope the
appropriate copyright and license notification gets added to every
WordPress file in the very near future.