[wp-hackers] Trackback and Pingback in WordPress

Matt Mullenweg m at mullenweg.com
Wed Dec 8 22:58:51 UTC 2004

Mark Jaquith wrote:
> You can't rely on rel="trackback"... you really have to look for the
> RDF.  Lowest common denominator, and all.

No reason not to support both.

> Any ideas on how we can keep the post time to a minimum?  A site with 10
> links to 10 different sites would take a while to post, searching for PB
> and TB on each one.  Perhaps we could save the entry, then redirect the
> poster to a list of all the links with a "Ping" checkmark next to each.
> It could attempt to send a Trackback, and if no Trackback URI is found,
> attempt to send a Pingback.  Or maybe the other way around.

Right now we attempt to redirect them before we do all the boring ping
stuff. If they have buffering this doesn't work though.

We should combine the lookups, there's no reason to request X links for
pingback and then request the same X links for enclosures. Ideally:

* Set very low timeout, like around a second
* Do HEAD request first
   * If audio/*, video/*, etc and on the same domain, enclose
   * If link was marked up with rel="enclosure", enclose\
   * If x-pingback: header, pingback it
* If text/* or application/xhtml+xml grab first 10k then
   * Look for pingback <meta>, if there send and move on
   * Look for rel="trackback"
   * Look for trackback RDF

--
Matt Mullenweg