[wp-hackers] theme manager like plugin manager

Robert Deaton false.hopes at gmail.com
Tue Dec 7 11:50:43 UTC 2004

I think zedrdave had already talked about and planned this making his
plugin manager a full manager for wordpress, doing themes and plugins,
and even updating WordPress with the click of a button (downloading
the latest packages and installing them).

Drdave care to confirm this?

On Tue, 07 Dec 2004 04:01:59 -0500, Mark Jaquith
<mark.wordpress at txfx.net> wrote:
> On a related note, it would be cool if a logged in WP user could "apply"
> a theme so that they could see it, without activating it globally.  It
> could store the theme name in their cookie.  That way, people could do
> "one-click" theme installs as Tara suggested, but without risking taking
> down their site or making for a bizarre user experience as they browse
> through themes.  It would be also great from a developer's standpoint,
> as you would be able to try out custom themes on your live blog, without
> lots of PHP errors thrown at your users.
>

> Tara Star wrote:
>
> > You probably all know by now how enthusiastic I am about Dave's plugin
> > manager (http://wp-plugins.net/) and the possibility to install new
> > plugins in a single click.
> >
> > The same thing for themes would be great. I mean, I've seen some
> > beautiful themes out there, but for the moment, changing themes
> > requires (a) hunting down the theme on the web, (b) downloading it to
> > the server, (c) activating it. Wouldn't a theme manager functioning a
> > bit like Dave's plugin manager be a nice thing? View a page with
> > screenshots and info of all registered themes in a central DB, and
> > one-click install the theme of your choice. I'm certain a lot of the
> > plugin manager code could be re-used for this.
> >
> > The theme manager could be a plugin (like the plugin manager is), or
> > why not, someday, included in the core? (I've vaguely heard talk about
> > including the plugin manager but I don't know where things are -- and
> > honestly, it's not that important.)
> >
> > What do you think?
> >
> > Steph
> > PS: I'm aware there are still lots of bugs to be squashed and that
> > this is an "inessential feature" -- but I think it can really help
> > make WP easier for the less-techy masses
> > --
> > http://climbtothestars.org/

--Robert Deaton
http://false-hopes.com/
A proud Linux, Firefox, and WordPress user.
Linux is not an operating system, its a way of life.