[wp-hackers] Spam results

Owen Winkler ringmaster at midnightcircus.com
Sat Dec 4 18:23:05 UTC 2004

Matt Mullenweg wrote:

> I'm curious what spam methods are working best for everyone? I see
> lots of comments people saying they're using something but not many
> saying what's working. Namely, what would be the best methods to roll
> in? Obviously something like captcha doesn't fit the WP philosophy,
> but some of the other approaches (scoring comments, better management
> of floods, auto-closing) I think could be very effective even when
> mass-deployed. Thoughts?

Is it wise to roll in spam catching routines when the code changes to
WordPress aren't nearly as fast as the changes to spam scripts and the
plugin code that effectively stops them?

Remove the default moderation code from the core entirely and allow
plugin(s) to manage the comment moderation exclusively.  Include a stern
warning on install/upgrade to enable one of the few included, proven
plugin spam solutions, - perhaps even include plugin activation as part
of the install.

Owen