[wp-hackers] Spam results

Brian Puccio brian at brianpuccio.net
Sat Dec 4 12:52:05 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-12-03 at 21:30 -0500, Dougal Campbell wrote:
> Matt Mullenweg wrote:
> > I'm curious what spam methods are working best for everyone? I see lots
> > of comments people saying they're using something but not many saying
> > what's working. Namely, what would be the best methods to roll in?
> > Obviously something like captcha doesn't fit the WP philosophy, but some
> > of the other approaches (scoring comments, better management of floods,
> > auto-closing) I think could be very effective even when mass-deployed.
> > Thoughts?
>
> Mark's CSPAM plugin has pretty much caught all the spam since I
> installed it. And I've only seen a few come into moderation. However,
> since it's (currently) a centralized-server configuration, it's probably
> not appropriate for core. But I wanted to put in a good word for it,
> nonetheless.

I have been using it as well, and have not had one single spam hit me.
Then again, since I don't get any emails when a spam gets stopped, I
can't be 100% sure of what it is doing.  I've also had two comments
posted since I installed it, so I'm assuming it isn't actively blocking
non-spams.  Again, because of the lack of email, I can't be sure.