[wp-hackers] What's Your Setup? Suggestions reqeusted.

Robert Deaton false.hopes at gmail.com
Thu Dec 2 22:53:53 UTC 2004

For my production site, I run the latest CVS after I install it on a
local test install to make sure there's no major b0rkage, and if there
is, I do my best to fix  it. The production site has PHP 4.3.9 and
Apache 1.3.29, while the local has a 5.0.x release of PHP and Apache
2.x (I update often on both).

On Thu, 02 Dec 2004 17:01:21 -0500, Tor Bjornrud <bjornrud at msu.edu> wrote:
> My development/publishing workflow for WP is terrible, and I'm looking
> for insight on how everyone else "does it" as I'm finding keeping a
> production site and development set of WP installs is becoming too
> complicated.  I've come up with some possible ideas, but they haven't
> scratched the itch.  Hopefully, y'all can shed some light and we can
> show each other something "smart".  What I'm looking for is a brief
> summary of how many different codebases you guys work from, what
> versions they are, what tools you use, how/if you backup, and where you
> find your biggest strength/frustration in how you work.  If someone
> posts a setup like yours, even +1 vote would be great, just so I know
> that type is working for multiple people.
>
> I promise, I'll glean as much info as possible from this discussion and
> post a set of suggestions somewhere in the codex and on my blog to help
> future devs get a quick start into a good WP development setup.
>
> So, to eat my own dog food...
>
> Installs:
> ----------------------------
> I've got a production server with only remote shell access that runs
> 1.2.1, a local setup that mirrors my live site (1.2.1) to test changes,
> and a local cvs copy where I work on things I hope to one day propose to
> the core.
>
> All run php 4.3 as a module to Apache 2.0 on some form of unix.
>
> Basically, this is too many installs to keep straight for me. But I'm
> afraid if I use cvs for dev, I'm gonna go a couple days with my site
> down.  It's nice to have a main site that I don't have to worry about,
> but sucks that I can't get a lot of the new great features in 1.3 I'd like.
>
> Tools:
> I develop with Zend Studio (out of habit from the office) 'cause of the
> great debugger, tool tips, and syntax highlighting.
>
> Backup:

--Robert Deaton
http://false-hopes.com/
A proud Linux, Firefox, and WordPress user.
Linux is not an operating system, its a way of life.