[wp-hackers] Setting mbstring auto encoding conversion for WordPress?

drDave drdave at unknowngenius.com
Fri Aug 13 17:22:31 UTC 2004

Hello,

I've noticed a few issues with comments and trackbacks not being sent
with the correct encoding... part of it due to pure browser issues, but
nonetheless quite annoying...
So I was wondering what prevented us to do something as simple as
enabling mbstring auto-conversion and sets its encoding to UTF-8 using
an htaccess file... especially since this would in no way affect users
that do not have mbstring installed (the htaccess directive would just
be ignored). Possibly also add some ini_set in wp-settings.php...

Since there's quite a lot of things to say, I've posted a full entry on
my suggestions and the issues to consider:
http://unknowngenius.com/blog/archives/2004/08/14/helping-wordpress-
deal-with-exotic-text-encoding/

I would love to hear anybody's opinion on this small hack that seem to
solve every encoding issues in the most elegant (and compatible) way,
as far as I can see...

Cheers,
--
Dave / デイヴ