[wp-hackers] keywords in main post attributes -- what do you think?

Tara Star tellme at climbtothestars.org
Tue Aug 10 16:25:23 UTC 2004

jonner.1979671 at bloglines.com wrote:

> --- hackers at wordpress.org wrote:
>
> I also agree. I was very confused when I
> lost a field that I thought
>

>>that I had added. I assumed it would be static
>
> and it was completely
>

>>against what I thought it would do. Why would I want
>
> to add a field to
>

>>a single entry? I can't honestly see any reason to do
>
> that.
>

> I think there's probably situations where you wouldn't want the field
> added to every post entry form (for example, if you had a ton of custom fields
> and didn't want your post form to be 10 pages long), so I think the existing
> interface could be kept, as long as a couple commonly-used fields could be
> designated as static.

Another situation is for example to do what I did with topicexchange
trackbacks
<http://climbtothestars.org/archives/2004/07/19/easier-topicexchange-trackbacks-for-wordpress/>
-- I don't have topicexchange trackbacks for each post, and I don't have
the same number of ITE trackbacks either. But otoh, it's also something
I automated, so I never find myself in the situation of adding "custom
fields" manually.

I wonder if people /do/ add custom fields manually? or are custom fields
just used by people like me who then nastily hack wp to use them in a
more friendly manner?

Steph aka bunny
--
http://climbtothestars.org/