[wp-hackers] Extended?

Deirdre Saoirse Moen deirdre at deirdre.net
Wed Aug 4 20:07:50 UTC 2004

On Aug 4, 2004, at 7:05 AM, David Clark wrote:
> Phanatic,

> Isn't the decision to fork made only AFTER trying to work within the
> current effort?

While this is commonly-accepted etiquette, it is not a requirement of the
GPL.

> Regardless, this is not a fair tact to take with the lead developer of a
> stable and thriving  product.  I am personally dumbfounded by your
> stance.

The whole point of the GPL is that it is ALWAYS fair to fork. I'd say
many, if not most, of us have code variances that form a micro-fork of
some kind or another, even if it's not a formally-released one.

I wrote a plugin to show how many submissions I had out. Since I figure
that's something that three other people need, I haven't released it. If
anyone ever asked me about it, I'd send them the code directly.

For one of my other blogs (http://clarion.deirdre.org/), I substituted
another plugin for the normal page. I'm thinking about re-doing this one,
though, and I still have work I need to do on it -- for one thing, five of
the group have been given honorable mentions for Year's Best SF or Year's
Best Fantasy & Horror.

Technically, both of those projects are forks.

Lest anyone be upset about the wp-extended fork, the reality is that those
people who play well with others will always have the largest branch of
the tree.

And, fwiw, it's not the first fork. I came over from b2evolution.

--
_Deirdre  web: http://deirdre.net        blog: http://deirdre.org/blog/
yarn: http://fuzzyorange.com    cat's blog: http://fuzzyorange.com/vsd/