[bbDev] Major change to install/options needs testing

Sam Bauers sam at automattic.com
Thu Dec 13 02:14:58 GMT 2007

Doug - I applied the right fix to the wrong part of the script. :\

I should have included some revised installation instructions...

Fresh install
-------------
1. Get bbPress files in place (do not create a config file)
2. Create database
3. Go to the expected base URL of the bbPress installation
4. Run installer
       4a. You will need to manually create the file bb-config from the
           given output if your bbPress base directory isn't writable

"Quick" upgrade
---------------
1. Rename config.php to bb-config.php
2. That's it, but the hardcoded values will override any changes in
the admin area

"Real" upgrade
--------------
At the moment this is a workaround:
1. Rename config.php to bb-config.php
2. Log in to your site as normal
3. Go to the new admin general options
4. Do not modify, but save the options there
5. Go to the new admin WordPress Integration options
6. Do not modify, but save the options there if there are any
7. Remove all $bb->xxx options from bb-config.php
8. See if it still works

I'm working on improving the "quick" upgrade and "real" upgrade
experience.

Sam

On 13/12/2007, at 6:49 AM, Doug Stewart wrote:

> Still no joy in Mudville.  Same error, just crops up on 897 instead
> of 896.
>
> PHP 5.2.3 on a DreamHost shared setup...

Sam Bauers
Automattic, Inc.

sam at automattic.com
http://automattic.com