[bbDev] Major change to install/options needs testing

Sam Bauers sam at automattic.com
Wed Dec 12 14:15:18 GMT 2007

Hi all,

I've just committed a major change to trunk which I would appreciate
both extensive testing and general feedback on.

Firstly, all non-database settings have been moved into the database,
and in turn a new admin area for those options has been created. This
includes all WordPress Integration settings.

Continuing from this, in an effort to lower the barriers to trying out
bbPress I've re-written the installation process. Now, rather than
having to manually edit the config file, it's possible to make the
settings via the installer. WordPress has had this sort of
functionality for a while. If the config directory is not writable,
then it will let you know and spit out the correct contents for the
config file to screen for the user to manually install.

I've also added the ability to make WordPress integration settings on
install. It also validates the settings. There are some under the hood
changes to how bbPress decides what it's cookie settings are as a
result of integration, these leads to less people locking themselves
out of their install. The admin area spits out the correct settings to
make in the WordPress install to get cookie sharing working properly.
The admin area also contains a WP role to bbPress role mapper. It's
pretty cool.

I've updated the database upgrade script to have a similar look to the
new installer, and bb_die() errors also inherit the new look.

Recent changes in trunk have brought bbPress usernames into line with
WordPress as well. Adding all this up means that You can now integrate
WordPress with bbPress without plugins.

As you can imagine, there is a lot going on in this change (I couldn't
really split it into smaller chunks), so some breakage may occur.
Please report on list if you have problems.

I'm interested to hear about how it goes being installed over the top
of existing data/config files (use backups of course) and if anyone
has any problems with the layout in their browser (especially Internet
Explorer).

Sam

Sam Bauers
Automattic, Inc.