[bbDev] installed latest build. but still stuck :|

Michael D. Adams mikea at turbonet.com
Tue Jul 26 23:46:58 GMT 2005

On Wed, 27 Jul 2005, chall3ng3r wrote:

> I've installed 26-7-2005 build on my local win2k3 machine. And did the
> following, as described in the installation instructions.
> 1.	created DB, and user.
> 2.	called update-schema.php (successful run)
> 3.	I am unable to find user_type field in bb_users, but I found a
> record in bb_usermeta table, bb_user_type. I set it to 5 from 0. I think
> I've set the correct thing.
> 4.	inserted a new forum by executing INERT INTO query.
> 5.	I registered new user. Got password in mail.
> 6.	logged in, and got a single forum listed.
> 7.	now when I click my profile link or forum name (link). The browser
> just shows its loading. But I see in background by outpost firewall that
> there's some kind of loop that is connecting to mysql server, again and
> again. And loop never ends.

This bug has been reported before.  So far, I have been unable to
replicate it.  It's _possible_ you're getting this infinite loop because
of an incorrect bb-config.php setting.

It should read:
$bb->domain = 'http://forums.example.com';
$bb->path   = '/cheese/';

That is, no trailing slash in the domain, leading and trailing slashes in
the path, and NO PATH iformation at all in the domain setting.

The following WILL NOT WORK
$bb->domain = 'http://forums.example.com/cheese';
$bb->path   = '/';

If your settings are correct, please follow the advice on
http://bbpress.automattic.com/ticket/105#change_0 where the redirect code
is at line ~1200 instead of 1112, and reply back with your var_dump
output.

Michael
--mdawaffe

PS: That is the correct procedure for changing your user_type:  add a
usermeta: $user_id, $table_prefix . 'user_type', 5
Where $table_prefix = 'bb_' by default.

After you have one admin, you should be able to log in as that admin and
change other users' user_types by visiting and editing their profile page.