[bbDev] User Meta Data

Michael D Adams mikea at turbonet.com
Sat Jul 2 23:29:21 GMT 2005

http://bbpress.automattic.com/changeset/148
I just checked in some extensive changes to the way user data is
handled by bbPress.

Core user data is kept in the old users table, but the column names
have changed:
user_id -> ID  (a little ugly, but the precedent was there)
username -> user_login
user_password -> user_pass
user_email -> user_email
user_website -> user_url

This was done to facilitate the integration of bbPress with upcoming
versions of WordPress (or, with a little work, current versions, or,
with a little more work, entirely different software packages).

The rest of the user data is all stored in a new usermeta table.

Uncommenting and then running the appropriate functions in bb-admin/
upgrade.php ( upgrade_100() and upgrade_110() ) should upgrade your
database.

I caution people, however, to make database backups first and to not
yet use this on live sites.  The changes need more testing.  That
said, It would be wonderful if people _would_ create a bbPress test
site based off this new code with data being pulled from a _copy_ of
your database.  Please test the upgrading procedures (a little
clunky, I know) and then put your test site through whatever you
normally hit your live site with.  New topics, New users, etc. etc.

The usermeta table opens up a lot of possibilities; it will be
exciting when everything gets hammered down.
Michael Adams
--mdawaffe