[bbDev] setting admin user

Thomas Leavitt thomas at thomasleavitt.org
Sun Aug 21 06:30:18 GMT 2005

... as far as I can tell, no combination of nightly build, installation
instructions, trouble tickets, or mailing list postings can combine to
give me a means of getting a working installation with an administrative
user.

I downloaded the August 21 build, ran update-schema, everything seemed
to work... I went ahead and uncommented "upgrade_150", got two error
messages:

The first one was identical to the line below, but a warning for a
different foreach... (sorry I didn't copy it)
Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach()
in /domains/bbpress.thomasleavitt.org/www/bbpress/bb-admin/upgrade.php
on line 208
Done translating from user_type to role
Done deleting user_type

I then looked in the database, and it seemed like there were less lines
(3) in user_meta than the previous build...

I then registered a user, but still didn't seen any indication of
administrative privileges. It occured to me to run upgrade.php again,
which produced just one error message this time (see above).

A copy I'm working with, pretty sophisticated set of folks, wanted me to
recommend forum software... I thought that it might be cool to point
thme to bbpress, as they're the types who might be interested in hacking
away and contributing something back to an open source project, but I
guess it isn't there yet, eh?

In the meantime, do y'all have any recommendations for forum software
you like (other than bbPress, of course)?

I'm not a major hacker, but I might be able to contribute... at least
with testing, maybe even simple bug fixes, etc. How does one get to that
point?

Thomas

Michael D Adams mikea at turbonet.com
Sun Aug 14 19:43:44 GMT 2005