[Bb-trac] Re: [bbPress] #858: Exclamation point shown along with "A valid configuration file was found at bb-config.php" is misleading

bbPress bb-trac at lists.bbpress.org
Wed Apr 16 06:43:48 GMT 2008

#858: Exclamation point shown along with "A valid configuration file was found at
bb-config.php" is misleading
----------------------------------+-----------------------------------------
 Reporter:  chrishajer            |        Owner:  sambauers
     Type:  enhancement           |       Status:  assigned
Changes (by sambauers):

  * owner:  => sambauers
  * status:  new => assigned
  * version:  => 0.9
  * milestone:  => 1.0-beta & XML-RPC

Comment:

 Primarily the first page of the installer is there to warn that the config
 file is missing. Kicking off the installation is it's secondary purpose.
 If it indicated some sort of "success" then in the instances where it was
 actually indicating failure it would be misleading and might encourage
 ordinary users to go through to the install process. So I think the red
 warning is appropriate.

 The exclamation mark is just to get attention to the fact that there is an
 alert. The colour alone is supposed to indicate the status, and despite
 your example (which I don't agree with) they are right I think. I'm open
 to swapping the "!" for a tick (or similar) on "success" messages though.
 I would prefer some text character, perhaps a forward moving arrow like
 browser support.

--
Ticket URL: <http://trac.bbpress.org/ticket/858#comment:2>
bbPress <http://bbpress.org/>