[Bb-trac] [bbPress] #859: When bb-config-sample.php is not found, once you fix it, what do you do next?

bbPress bb-trac at lists.bbpress.org
Sat Apr 12 15:44:36 GMT 2008

#859: When bb-config-sample.php is not found, once you fix it, what do you do
next?
----------------------------------+-----------------------------------------
 Reporter:  chrishajer            |       Owner:
     Type:  enhancement           |      Status:  new
Component:  Installation/Upgrade  |     Version:
 Severity:  trivial               |    Keywords:
----------------------------------+-----------------------------------------
 When you have no bb-config-sample.php or bb-config.php present, you get a
 message that is pretty confusing.

 1.  You get the introductory text from the previous page that says "you
 need to enter the database details."

 {{{

 Step 1 - Database configuration

 Here you need to enter your database connection details. The installer
 will attempt to create a file called bb-config.php in the root directory
 of your bbPress installation.

 If you're not sure what to put here, contact your web hosting provider.
 }}}

 This is shown AFTER having entered all those details already, because it
 could not find bb-config-sample.php.  Here is the error message:

 {{{
 ! I could not find the file bb-config-sample.php
 Please upload it to the root directory of your bbPress installation.

 }}}

 OK, so I need to install bb-config.sample.php.  But what do I do then?
 There should be a button or link that says something like "Uploaded bb-
 config-sample.php?  [CONTINUE]" - that way you could continue without
 having to reenter the data on the previous page.  If you do actually need
 to go back and reenter the data in the database details screen, then there
 should be a link here that says "Go back and reenter your database
 connection details after uploading bb-config-sample.php".

 The installation messages need some love.

 I did hit the browser back button after uploading the bb-config-
 sample.php, and there are a couple problems.

 1.  When you go back, the database password is missing since it was a
 password field.  OK, I can understand that.

 2.  The "show advanced details" which I had checked previously is still
 checked, but the details are not shown.  Probably a javascript thing.  So,
 I unclicked and clicked to reveal the details again.  Everything is still
 there, which is good.

 Continuing on, I get a success message in a green box, but I still have
 the exclamation point in the yellow box again, and I still have the block
 of introductory text that was present before entering my database details.

 {{{

 Step 1 - Database configuration

 Here you need to enter your database connection details. The installer
 will attempt to create a file called bb-config.php in the root directory
 of your bbPress installation.

 If you're not sure what to put here, contact your web hosting provider.
 }}}

 Beneath that is the success message:

 {{{
  ! Your settings have been saved to the file bb-config.php
 You can now continue to the next step.
 }}}

 The installation process needs some love.

--
Ticket URL: <http://trac.bbpress.org/ticket/859>
bbPress <http://bbpress.org/>