[backpress-dev] question about options & transients in BackPress

Nathaniel Taintor goldenapplesdesign at gmail.com
Tue Feb 22 18:10:35 UTC 2011

Hi all,

I'm building a new web app using BackPress, and although as everyone has
said, its still very rough, I like it a lot. Probably primarily because I
initially learned PHP through coding for WordPress, so I'm very familiar
with the coding style and syntax of it all. I'd love to see, and help,
BackPress grow into more of a full-featured framework. I've just signed up
here and to trac, but I haven't found much activity on either. Has there
been a discussion of the development direction for the near future that I
can read to get up to speed on current issues?

I also have a general question about the options and transients
interfaces... mainly, I'm just not understanding what they're doing, I
guess. It seemed to me that in order to run cron tasks I would need to
implement a database-based transients system similar to WP, is that true? Or
does the object cache in BP handle cron tasks?

I initially tried to redefine the BP_Options classes and BP_Transients
classes with code modified from WP's functions, because I didn't see how
values were being saved. Then I discovered the "cache" disk folder, but I
can't see where those values are coming from. Can someone give me quick
pointers on where to look to learn this?

Thanks very much,

Nathaniel Taintor, Designer/Developer
*Golden Apples Design*
http://goldenapplesdesign.com